Tuesday, August 28, 2007

stealing amandas idea! :)


I've decided that i'm going to steal amandas idea (check out her blog at a book is a garden) try to start discussions on music that i'm listening to or have listened to or just really like. I will also throw in my life because thats just what i do! (amanda i hope you don't mind :)

So, I am going to start out with a cd that came out a while ago but that i feel has really made me respect this band more. I've enjoyed them for a long time and their concert that i have seen was really good (even though i couldn't see anything because it was so crowded). The CD is the cranes wife by the decemberist. track 2 "The Island-come & See/the landlord's daughter/you'll not feel the drowning is a freakin flippin long song something like 12-14 minutes...but it is amazing. the builds and how they use the organ kills me (in a good way) everytime! :) I personally think its their best album yet and can't wait to see them again. Here is a youtube video of one of the songs on the album.
So..
Has anyone listened to the album? What did you think? Did you think it was the best album they have done? If not, what do you feel is their best album and why? Have you seen them live and what was your thoughts?

2 comments:

Mike said...

Jenn-

I love all of the Decemberists' music!

I haven't listened to this album in a long time. "The Perfect Crime" played while jogging yesterday, though, which was awesome work-out music.

My favorite album from them is Castaways and Cutouts. Of course, that might just be the sentimentality talking. You know how the first stuff you hear from a new artist tends to be your favorite?

I remember seeing them at Opolis with you and Ryan and yeah, it was the most crowded I've ever seen that place. But a great show, nonetheless.

I need to give this album another listen! Thanks for reminding me.

Amanda Fortney said...

i don't mind at all! i was actually thinking of doing music commentaries too, so i hope you don't mind! :) i haven't really gotten to hear much of the decemberists, but i probably need to.